Clean Water.

Over 70% of the earth's surface is covered by water with over 97.5% of that water being salt water, leaving only 2.5% of the earth's water as fresh water. Nearly 70% of the fresh water is frozen in Antarctica and Greenland with the bulk of the rest being in soil moisture and underground aquifers too deep to access. Less than 1% of the earth's fresh water is available for human use.
View our Projects

We Strive for Clean Water

clean water image

Clean water is one of the most valuable resources on earth. This water is found in lakes, rivers, reservoirs and those underground sources that are shallow enough to be tapped at an affordable cost. These resources are highly valuable, providing water for drinking, industry, power generation, fishing and other kinds of recreation.

Clean water is essential for sustaining aquatic and human life. Friends of Reservoirs works with citizen groups at the local level to fund projects aimed at improving water quality.


Water Cycle

All Waters on Earth are Interconnected

Even though pollution resulting from discharges or poor land management practices is most acute at the local level, pollutants can be transported great distances through the water cycle.

Result

Support Your Local Programs

Support programs at the local level that promote good land management practices, and high quality municipal discharges. Your actions will prevent future fish kills and improve water quality in reservoir systems.


Problem

Fair to Poor Rating on our Waters

The Environmental Protection Agency completed a water quality assessment of the nation's waters in 2009. Almost half of the nation's waters were rated as fair to poor.

Solution

Use Water Treatment Facilities

Our environment and society cannot function without clean water. Promote the use of "state of the art" water treatment facilities and septic systems to ensure that water returned to the environment is as clean as possible.


Problem

Algae Blooms

Excess nutrients, called eutrophication, leads to algae blooms that are not only unsightly, but can have human health implications if allowed to progress.

Solution

Restore the Wetlands

Wetlands are nature's biological filters. Unfortunately, wetlands are being lost at an alarming rate. Work locally to protect existing wetlands and support programs to restore degraded wetlands.


Problem

Clean Water is Essential for Society's Physical and Emotional well-being

Solution

Help your Local Conservation Efforts

Action is needed to ensure that our grandchildren have the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of clean water.